The organization's primary purpose is to achieve active participation of young people in the development of civil society and democracy in Azerbaijan, to develop the initiatives and creative work of young people, to create effective mechanisms for youth policy implementation, monitoring of the situation of youth through mass media, to prepare programs with the purpose of protection of rights and interests of invalid, refugee, displaced and orphan young people, teenagers and children and so on.
Our organization is non-political, non-religious, non-economical structure and members of AYU may be every person in the age between 14 and 35 in despite of their nationality, race, religion, social and political views.
Organization's formation date:
The Azerbaijan Youth Union (AYU) was formed in September 1991. It was officially registered on 17.09.91 according to decree of the Board of the Azerbaijan Republic Ministry of Justice.
Organization's financial policy (membership fees, financing by natural persons, grants etc.)
The AYU finances are formed from the collection of membership fees, donations and grants from natural and juridical persons, as well as from the incomes brought in by the organization of respective mass events and the sale of the respective printing editions.
AYU to enter into such international youth structures as:
- "Cooporation-91" - Alliance of the youth organizations of the CIS (Head office in Moscow/Russia).
- Youth Forum of the countries GUAM (Georgia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Moldova - Head office in Kiev/Ukraine).
- Youth Employment System (Head office in Boston/USA).
- Network SPARE - School Program for Application of Energy and Resources (Head office in Oslo/Norway).
Representatives of our organization took part in many international meetings. For example:
- 1995 "Peace for Caucasus" Youth Training (UNOY/Holland - Yalta, Ukraine).
- 1997 NGO Management Training (ISAR-Azerbaijan).
- 1998 Cooperation of NGOs from Azerbaijan and Georgia, skills on joint project writing (ISAR-Azerbaijan - "Horizonti" Georgia).
- 1999 Using community opportunities in solving local ecological problems ("Green Earth" - Likani, Georgia).
- 1999 "Europe without border" Training on conflict resolution (UNITED - Potsdam, Germany).
- 1999 Training on Gender Equality and youth participation in minority communities, European Youth Center (Budapest, Hungary).
- 2000 Training on Working with Minorities, European Youth Centre (Strasbourg, France).
- 2000 Training on Advocacy and Lobbying of women rights in Europe (WFM - Granada, Spain).
- 2001 Facilitation skills ("Process Consulting" - Moscow, Russia).
- 2001 Management and program evaluation ("Process Consulting" - Moscow, Russia).
- 2002 The Seminar/workshop: "EIA Legislation and Practices in the Caucasus Countries" ("Caucasus Environmental NGO Network" - Kobuleti, Adjaria/Georgia).
- 2002 "Social Exclusion and Women's Health" (European Youth Centre - Budapest, Hungary).
- 2003 The Seminar/workshop: "Creation Youth Councils in schools in South Caucasus" (Catholic Relief Services in December 2003 - Tbilisi, Georgia).
- 2004 The Courses "On Access to Information, Public Advocacy and Campaigning for Public Interests" (OSCE Office in Baku and Slovakia Citizen and Democracy Association in July 2004 - Nabran).
- 2004 The conference "Role of youth in development of tourism" ("Seyahat" in August 2004 - Ankara, Turkey).
- 2004 The Youth Employment Summit (Education Development Center Inc. and E Foundation in October 2004 - Boca del Rio Veracruz, Mexico).
- 2005 The Seminar/workshop: "Creation Youth Councils in schools in South Caucasus" (Catholic Relief Services in February 2005 - Tbilisi, Georgia).
- 2005 The seminar: "Youth against fascism and Semitism" ("Green Earth" in June 2005 - Tbilisi, Georgia).
- 2005 Working meeting of the youth organizations of Turkey and Azerbaijan on a theme: "Development of ecological tourism in regions" ("Seyahat" in July 2005 - Fethiye, Turkey).
- 2005 The training course: "Promoting and Defending Freedom of Expression in the South Caucasus region" ("ARTICLE XIX"/UK in November 2005 - Kiev, Ukraine).
- 2005 Leadership and Advocacy Program (MASHAV - Tel-Aviv, Israel).
- 2006 The international fair "YapiTech2006" (The government of Turkey in May 2006 - Trabzon, Turkey).